Lifestyle Changes for patients with Mild Sleep Apnea
If you have mild sleep apnea, some changes in daily activities or habits may help to treat this condition.
- Avoid alcohol and relaxation medications. They may cause narrowing of the airway during sleep.
- Lose weight if you are overweight or obese. Even a slight weight loss can significantly improve symptoms.
- Sleep on your side instead of your back to help keep your throat open. You can sleep with special pillows or shirts that prevent you from sleeping on your back.
- Keep your nasal passages open at night with nasal sprays or allergy medicines, if needed. Speak with your physician about whether these treatments might help you.
- If you smoke, quit. Speak with your physician regarding programs and products that can help you quit smoking.